This is the RAN's most formal uniform.
Depending on the occasion officers may wear this uniform with or without a sword.
Mess Dress - Formal
This is worn at formal evening receptions, mess dinners, dances, etc. Junior Sailors do not have a requirement to wear this uniform.
This is a less formal version of evening attire which can also be worn at mess dinners and other similar events. Junior Sailors do not have a requirement to wear this uniform.
Informal Evening Dress
This is daily evening dress and may be worn in winter as well as summer.
Regular Day Dress
This is worn as the normal dress of the day at most Headquarters and Bases.
Disruptive Pattern Navy Uniform (SW12)
The DPNU is the approved two-piece operational fire-retardant uniform to be worn by RAN personnel in the following circumstances:
- On operations
- Working on/near machinery, in warehouses or other potentially dirty work environments
- Undertaking boarding party activities
- Participating in strenuous training activities at sea and ashore.
Disruptive Pattern Combat Uniform (SW17)
The DPCU is the approved two-piece operational uniform to be worn by RAN personnel in the following circumstances:
- As tactical working dress in the land environment
- For Clearance Divers on all operations, tactical exercises, IED disposal, Explosive Ordnance Disposal tasks and all dedicated military flights.
Physical Training (SW19)
Cold Weather Jacket
Some categories have uniforms specific to their work environment - these are not shown here.