Avro 504L

Avro 504L
Type
Fighter Bomber/Trainer
Manufacturer
A V Roe & Co Ltd
Number in use
Serial numbers HL 3034 and H 3042
Origin
Great Britain
Number Ordered
2
First Delivered
1920
First Flight
1920
Final Flight
1921 - transferred to RAAF
Length
29 feet 5 inches
Height
10 feet 5 inches
Width
36 feet Wing Span
Weights 950
Speed 78 knots
Crew
1
Engines One 130 hp Clerget engine
Performance
  • Rate of Climb: 3500ft/ 7 min
  • Endurance: 4.5 hrs
Ships embarked in

The Avro Type 504 was a British designed and built aircraft manufactured by the Avro aircraft company founded by Alliot Verdun Roe in January 1910.

The first type 504 flew in Britain  in July 1913 as a biplane with a staggered two-bay wing cellule, fixed tail-skid landing gear including a central skid on the main unit. During World War 1 the aircraft were operated variously by Britain's Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service.

The 504L was the first post war variant and two aircraft of this type, equipped with floats, saw service in the Royal Australian Navy during trials conducted in HMA Ships Australia and Melbourne during 1920. The trials revealed a number of problems with the aircraft, notably a lack of power when operating in the tropics. Much was learnt from the trials which played an important part in developing later naval aircraft capabilities.

 

The Avro 504L that was embarked in HMAS Melbourne during trials conducted during a visit to PNG and Rabaul in 1920.

The Avro 504L that was embarked in HMAS Melbourne during trials conducted during a visit to PNG and Rabaul in 1920.