HMAS
Beryl II

HMAS Beryl II
Type
Auxiliary Minesweeper
Role
  • Minesweeping
  • Boom gate vessel
Pennant
F71/BL
Builder
Cochrane & Sons, Selby, England
Commissioned
9 October 1939
Decommissioned
13 December 1945
Fate
Returned to owners and later scrapped in 1955.
Dimensions & Displacement
Displacement 225 tonnes
Length 37.11 metres
Beam 6.73 metres
Draught 3.71 metres
Performance
Speed 9 knots
Complement
Crew 18 (2 officers, 16 sailors)
Armament
Guns
  • 1 x 76mm QF HA/LA gun
  • 1 x 20mm Oerlikon anti-aircraft gun
  • Machine guns

HMAS Beryl II was requisitioned for naval service on 7 September 1939. On 12 September, she departed Sydney for Melbourne to be fitted out for minesweeping duties, arriving at Melbourne on 15 September.

HMAS Beryl was commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy on 9th October 1939. She was to serve with Minesweeping Group 54 in Port Phillip Bay.
HMAS Beryl II was commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy on 9th October 1939. She was to serve with Minesweeping Group 54 in Port Phillip Bay.

On 9 October, 1939 Beryl II commissioned at Melbourne under the command of Commissioned Warrant Officer David Smith, RANR(S), and served in the Port Phillip Bay approaches as a unit of Minesweeping Group 54 until the beginning of February 1943.

The vessel then transferred to Minesweeping Group 63 based at Port Adelaide where she served until early December 1943, following which she proceeded to Sydney for conversion for boom defence duties. She arrived at Sydney on 15 December 1943 and on 30 December departed for Port Moresby to take up her new duties. She arrived at Port Moresby on 18 January 1944.

Beryl II served as boom gate vessel, Port Moresby, until 20 April 1945 when she sailed via east coast ports to begin a refit at Melbourne where she arrived on 30 May 1945.

Part of the crew on board HMAS Beryl
Part of the crew on board HMAS Beryl II

On 1 November, 1945 Beryl II departed Melbourne for Sydney, arriving on 5 November 1945. She paid off to Reserve at Sydney on 13 December 1945.

Beryl II was returned to her owners, Cam and Sons Pty Ltd, Pyrmont, Sydney on 24 May 1946.