HMAS
Matafele

Matafele as Burns Philp trader.
Type
Stores Carrier
Pennant
MF
Commissioned
1 January 1943
Decommissioned
20 June 1944
Fate
Lost without trace on 20 June 1944
Dimensions & Displacement
Displacement
  • 186 tons (standard)
  • 335 tons (full load)
Length 115 feet 5 inches
Beam 25 feet 6 inches
Awards
Battle Honours NEW GUINEA 1942–44

Matafele was built in 1938 for Burns Philp and traded on the Pacific Islands passenger-cargo routes throughout the Central Pacific (Samoa), Fiji and in the Mandated Territory of New Guinea. She carried European officers and a crew of native Pacific Islanders.

In January 1942 Matafele arrived at Rabaul, the seat of administration for the Mandated Territory of New Guinea, to find the town evacuated and under air attack. Her Master decided to attempt the passage to Australia and Matafele was the last ship to steam out of Simpson Harbour as the Japanese were landing on the beaches. Fortunately she was aided by the elements, and amid heavy rain squalls she cleared St Georges Channel undetected before proceeding via Samarai and reaching the Australian mainland.

In March 1942 under the control of the Australian Commonwealth Shipping Control Board, Matafele was engaged on the east Australian coast running military stores between Cairns and Darwin. Later in 1942 she was sent to Papuan waters, operating out of Port Moresby where she was engaged transporting stores on the neighbouring coast. She was the first ship to run stores to Milne Bay following the Japanese landing. In December 1942 the merchant service officers were replaced by naval personnel consisting of 4 officers, and 14 ratings. The 13 Pacific Islanders continued to make up the crew after agreeing to serve under the RAN. The ship was commissioned as HMAS Matafele on 1 Jan 1943.

 

Starboard view of the Burns Philp Inter Island Trader Matafele prior to he being commissioned into the RAN as a stores carrier.

As part of the RAN, the Matafele continued to operate off the Papuan coast transporting stores, as well as supporting survey and navigation activities. She was refitted in Sydney from 16 Feb 1944 until March 1944 when she began operations as a store carrier between Queensland ports and Milne Bay. After rectifying a bearing fracture on the starboard main engine, she left Townsville for Milne Bay on 18 Jun 1944 under the command of LCDR Charles F. Symonds, RN carrying some 215 tons of naval stores.

The Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Commander C F Symonds is in the centre of the front row. Note that a number of the crew are Aboriginals or Torres Strait Islanders.

She had been routed via the Grafton Passage through positions 015 degrees 22 minutes south, 146 degrees 51 minutes east thence direct Brumer Island through the China Strait to her destination. Her speed of advance was 7.5 knots and her estimated time of arrival was at Milne Bay 0600K 22 June 1944. Matafele was last sighted 'west China Strait close inshore making slow speed against heavy weather at 1515K/24'. On 23 June, Matafele was overdue and requested to report her position and expected time of arrival at Milne Bay. However, no reply was received.

Matafele as she appeared when she was last seen.

On 26 June 1944 the Naval Officer in Charge New Guinea ordered Matafele to break radio silence and report her position, but again no reply was received. This triggered a wide scale search by sea and air but no sign of her was discovered. Some wreckage thought to be from Matafele was later found off the south coast of Papua, including one of Matafele's oars, being described as showing no sign of shot holes and of there being no sign of enemy action. A Board of Inquiry was subsequently convened and it was presumed that HMAS Matafele foundered sometime on 20 June 1944 with the loss of all hands which included 4 officers, 20 ratings and 13 Pacific Island seamen.

Matafele was ordered to break radio silence.

The disappearance of Matafele remains a mystery with the exact cause of her loss unknown. A memorial to perpetuate the memory of those lost in Matafele can be found in the memorial section of Point Danger Park, Tweed Heads, Queensland.