Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson, Ltd, Wallsend-on-Tyne, England
6 November 1940
16 January 1942
20 October 1945
7 April 1972
Broken up in Hong Kong, 1975
|Dimensions & Displacement|
|Length||358 feet 9 inches|
|Beam||35 feet 9 inches|
|Draught||9 feet 6 inches|
|Machinery||Parsons geared turbines, two shafts|
|Other Armament||Anti-submarine mortars|
|Battle Honours||MALAYA 1957|
Queenborough was one of eight Q Class destroyers built for the Royal Navy. She commissioned in the Royal Navy as HMS Queenborough on 30 November 1942 under the command of Commander Eric Percival Hinton, DSO, MVO, RN. HMS Queenborough served with distinction in the Arctic, the Mediterranean and the Indian and Pacific Oceans.
In 1945 Queenborough was transferred on loan from the Royal Navy to the Royal Australian Navy. She commissioned as HMAS Queenborough at Sydney on 20 October 1945 under the command of Commander Arnold H. Green DSC*, RAN.
Queenborough served in Australian waters until January 1946 when she began preparations for transfer to the Reserve at Sydney. She was placed in Reserve on 20 May 1946. Queenborough was taken in hand by Cockatoo Island Dockyard in May 1950 for conversion to a modern fast anti-submarine vessel.
The conversion was completed at the end of 1954 and she recommissioned on 7 December 1954 as a unit of the 1st Frigate Squadron. When completed by the conversion of three sister ships from destroyers to frigates, the Squadron comprised HMA Ships Quadrant, Queenborough, Quiberon and Quickmatch. Another sister ship Quality, also transferred from the Royal Navy, was not converted.
In February 1955 Queenborough proceeded to the United Kingdom for exercises with the Royal Navy and returned to Australia in December 1955. From September 1956 to July 1957 she served in the Far East. She undertook a further five deployments to the Far East, with one each year between 1959 and 1963.
On 10 July 1963 Queenborough was paid off to the control of the General Manager, Williamstown Dockyard. She again recommissioned on 28 July 1966, for service as a training ship, and undertook a series of regular exercises and training duties.
Queenborough paid off on 7 April 1972, having steamed some 443,236 miles in the RAN. On 8 April 1975 the ship was sold to Willtopp (Asia) Ltd through the firm's Agents, Banks Bros and Streets, of Sydney. On 2 May 1975 she was towed from Bradley's Head in Sydney Harbour to Jubilee Engineering Works, Balmain, to be prepared for towing to Hong Kong.
- Q Class Destroyers and Frigates of the Royal Australian Navy: Destroyers 1942-1956, Frigates 1953-1972 by Trevor Weaver - published by The Naval Historical Society of Australia, Garden Island 1993