International Fleet Review Spectacular
The Royal Australian Navy International Fleet Review is without doubt one of the largest and most exciting public events held on Sydney Harbour since the Sydney Olympics in 2000. With a full program of events on the Harbour and on land for over a week, Sydney-siders will be able to take part in one of many unique activities, but the jewel in the crown of the International Fleet Review will be the Fireworks and Lightshow Spectacular held on Saturday 5 October at 7:40pm.
The Spectacular will be the most complex, highly choreographed fireworks, projection, lighting and live action show ever seen in Australia, or even the world, and centres around Sydney’s famous Harbour and Opera House.
The Spectacular will see Sydney Harbour come alive as never before in a 30-minute show that celebrates over 100 years of proud history of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), and in particular, commemorates the original seven warships that entered Sydney Harbour in 1913.
Fireworks will be launched from city rooftops, barge positions from Cockatoo Island to Fort Denison, the Harbour Bridge, and for the first time ever, from the decks of RAN warships. This will all be joined by a lightshow from land, warships and Harbour Bridge positions, and a full projection show telling the history of the Royal Australian Navy on the Opera House sails, Harbour Bridge pylons and National Maritime Museum roof.
Live action scenes will also take place on and off ships and support boats, plus choreographed fly-overs from Navy and Air Force aircraft. The entire show will be choreographed to a soundtrack created in collaboration with the Royal Australian Navy’s Director of Music, Lieutenant Commander Paul Cottier.
The Fireworks and Lightshow Spectacular will be a show that Sydney and the world will never forget. The Royal Australian Navy and Imagination Australia are creating a fireworks and lightshow that is bigger and better than anything ever attempted in Australia. The Spectacular is something that will live in the memories of every officer, sailor and the rest of Sydney for many years to come, and we urge everyone to come down to the Harbour and watch this once in a lifetime event.
FIREWORKS AND LIGHTSHOW SPECTACULAR - KEY INFORMATION
- Show time – 7:40pm-8.10pm Saturday 5 October 2013.
- Best public vantage points – Dawes Point, Bradfield Park, Mrs Macquarie’s Chair, Circular Quay.
- IFR Smartphone App – Download the official IFR2013 mobile app today from iTunes and Google Play stores for live vantage points maps and info on all IFR participants and activities.
- Radio simulcast – Listen to the Spectacular soundtrack via live radio simulcast from 7.40pm. Spectators on the harbour foreshores in the vicinity of the warships and the fireworks barges between Balmain and Bradleys Head will be able to listen to the soundtrack to the Spectacular on 90.7 FM. Spectators around the harbour and all over Sydney can also listen via Digital Radio on radio station Radar or online at radarmusic.com.au.
- Live sites – Come to one of the many public live sites at Dawes Point, Circular Quay or Mrs Macquarie's Chair where there will be large screens and audio of the Spectacular. Audio will also be available at Garden Island and Milsons Point.
- TV broadcast – Can’t get to Sydney Harbour? Watch all the colour and excitement of the Fleet Review Spectacular as it is broadcast LIVE on ABC1*, ABCNews24 and online via ABC iview from 7.30pm EST. The ABC will capture all the action from the best vantage points on land, sea and air, including from the deck of HMAS Sydney, and from two helicopters above the harbour. (*Live on ABC1 in eastern states only)
- Video preview – An impression giving a glimpse of what the Fireworks and Lightshow Spectacular will look like.