The Naval Auxiliary Patrol

The Naval Auxiliary Patrol (NAP) was a war-raised unit approved on 25 June 1941. It was charged with patrolling and safeguarding Australia's inner harbours, ports, rivers and estuaries against enemy sabotage or attack. Prior to June 1941, two organisations, the Volunteer Coastal Patrol (VCP) and the National Emergency Service Yachting Auxiliary (NEYSA), carried out patrols in New South Wales, Queensland and Victorian waters. These two organisations comprised patriotically minded yachtsmen who worked in an entirely honorary capacity and provided their own boats. This changed after the NAP was formed when members were sworn in for full or part time service. Those volunteering for full time service became members of the RAN and received naval rates of pay and wore naval uniform. In May 1942 the NAP was transferred to the Royal Australian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RANVR) and was thereafter known as the RANVR NAP. By October 1942 the total strength of the NAP had increased to over 3000 mobilised and unmobilised reserves. This was to remain the case until early 1944 when it was considered that the danger of enemy attack was remote enough to reduce the strength of the NAP to a minimum. By the end of 1944 most of the boats that had been bought by the Navy for NAP duties had been re-sold or returned to their original owners. On this page you will find a collection of surviving registration papers and records for many of the small vessels requisitioned by the RAN.

Alert: These pdf documents have been created from scanned images and accordingly are large in filesize. They may take time to download.

Registrations - Registration Numbers 8 - 85

1941


PDF icon Download

pdf : 38.51 MB
Areas and Numbers Not Used

1941


PDF icon Download

pdf : 3.3 MB
Registrations - Registration Numbers 86 - 204

1942


PDF icon Download

pdf : 38.66 MB
Registrations - Registration Numbers 205 - 323

1943


PDF icon Download

pdf : 31.21 MB