Navy’s mission is to prepare naval power in order to enable the integrated force in competition and conflict.
As an island nation, the sea is Australia’s lifeblood. Australians are dependent upon it. Trade travels by sea, and thus Australia’s economy, prosperity, and way of life count on the sea. Good order at sea is vital to the Nation’s economic and environmental welfare, and to national security.
Navy contributes to the Defence mission by providing safe seaworthy, airworthy and battle worthy ships, submarines, aircraft, and specialist teams to meet operational commitments. The provision of these assets contributes to maintaining sovereignty and security in Australia’s region.
Values and behaviours
Navy has an enduring cultural improvement program that guides people to be a more capable and agile force held in the highest regard by the Australian people. The outcome is a modern sailor who embraces change, is inclusive and strives to make Navy better.
Defence values define what is important to the organisation as a whole and to its people individually. They guide behaviour, bind us together, and are a source of strength and moral courage to take action.
- Service: The selflessness of character to place the security and interests of our nation and its people ahead of my own.
- Courage: The strength of character to say and do the right thing, always, especially in the face of adversity.
- Respect: The humanity of character to value others and treat them with dignity.
- Integrity: The consistency of character to align my thoughts, words and actions to do what is right.
- Excellence: The willingness of character to strive each day to be the best I can be, both professionally and personally.
The following behaviours were designed and developed to enable Navy’s personnel to incorporate the values into their everyday lives.
- Collaborate and be team focused.
- Be inclusive and value others.
- Be adaptable, innovative and agile.
- Reflect, learn and improve.
- Act with purpose for Defence and the nation.
- Be accountable and trustworthy.