Avernus (NSW colony)

Type
Second-class Torpedo Boat
Dimensions & Displacement
Displacement 16 tons
Performance
Speed 16 knots
Propulsion
Horsepower 300
Armament
Torpedoes 2 x 14-inch torpedoes in dropping gear

Avernus was built in Sydney, in 1885, for the Government of New South Wales. She was manned by permanent officers and local naval volunteers, and based at Dawes Point, Sydney. After Federation in 1901, Avernus became a unit of the Commonwealth Naval Forces. She was sold out of service in December 1902 for 400 pounds. 

 

Avernus in Sydney Harbour. c. 1890
Avernus in Sydney Harbour. c. 1890