HMAS
Allambie

Type
Raised Deck Cruiser
Pennant
570
Commissioned
22 January 1943
Decommissioned
3 October 1944
Dimensions & Displacement
Length 37 feet 6 inches
Beam 6 feet 9 inches
Draught 4 feet 9 inches
Performance
Speed 10 knots
Armament
Guns 1 x .303 inch Vickers machine gun
Other Armament 1 x Mk VII depth charges, 6 x Midget depth charges

With much of the Royal Australian Navy fleet deployed to foreign waters in the early years of World War II, the defence of Australia’s coastlines became a primary concern for the Naval Board. The Naval Auxiliary Patrol (NAP) was a war-raised unit approved on 25 June 1941, charged with patrolling and safeguarding Australia's inner harbours, ports, rivers and estuaries against enemy sabotage or attack. The NAP fleet was comprised primarily of former pleasure craft, offered freely by their owners.

In May 1942, the NAP was transferred to the Royal Australian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RANVR) and was thereafter known as the RANVR NAP. By October 1942 the total strength of the NAP had increased to over 3000 mobilised and unmobilised reserves. This was to remain the case until early 1944 when it was considered that the danger of enemy attack was remote enough to reduce the strength of the NAP to a minimum. https://www.navy.gov.au/media-room/publications/naval-auxiliary-patrol.

Allambie was a 37 foot Raised Deck Cruiser that served as a part time Naval Auxiliary Patrol vessel in New South Wales. HMAS Allambie was commissioned into the RAN on 22 January 1943, before being decommissioned and returned to her owners on 3 October 1944.


HMAS Allambie first appeared in the April 1943 edition of the Navy List: https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Navy_List-April-1943.pdf