HMAS
Arista

Type
Motor Launch
Pennant
567
Builder
E M. Hughes
Commissioned
7 November 1942
Decommissioned
17 April 1944
Dimensions & Displacement
Length 35 feet 9 inches
Beam 9 feet
Draught 2 feet 9 inches
Performance
Speed 14 knots
Armament
Guns 1 x .303 inch Vickers machine gun
Other Armament 6 x Midget depth charges

With much of the Royal Australian Navy fleet deployed to foreign waters in the early years of World War II, the defence of Australia’s coastlines became a primary concern for the Naval Board. The Naval Auxiliary Patrol (NAP) was a war-raised unit approved on 25 June 1941, charged with patrolling and safeguarding Australia's inner harbours, ports, rivers and estuaries against enemy sabotage or attack. The NAP fleet was comprised primarily of former pleasure craft, offered freely by their owners.

In May 1942, the NAP was transferred to the Royal Australian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RANVR) and was thereafter known as the RANVR NAP. By October 1942 the total strength of the NAP had increased to over 3000 mobilised and unmobilised reserves. This was to remain the case until early 1944 when it was considered that the danger of enemy attack was remote enough to reduce the strength of the NAP to a minimum. https://www.navy.gov.au/media-room/publications/naval-auxiliary-patrol.

Arista was a 35 foot Motor Launch that served as a Naval Auxiliary Patrol vessel in New South Wales. HMAS Arista was commissioned into the RAN on 7 November 1942, before being decommissioned on 17 April 1944, and returned to her owners.

HMAS Arista first appeared in the January edition of the Navy List: https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Navy_List-January-1943.pdf
HMAS Arista first appeared in the January 1943 edition of the Navy List: https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Navy_List-January-...