HMAS
Bundarra

Type
Motor Launch
Pennant
621
Commissioned
2 January 1943
Dimensions & Displacement
Length 42 feet
Beam 10 feet
Draught 3 feet 9 inches
Performance
Speed 8 knots
Armament
Guns 1 x .303 inch Machine Gun
Other Armament 10 x 25lb Depth Charges

With much of the Royal Australian Navy fleet deployed to foreign waters in the early years of World War II, the defence of Australia’s coastlines became a primary concern for the Naval Board. The Naval Auxiliary Patrol (NAP) was a war-raised unit approved on 25 June 1941, charged with patrolling and safeguarding Australia's inner harbours, ports, rivers and estuaries against enemy sabotage or attack. The NAP fleet was comprised primarily of former pleasure craft, offered freely by their owners.

In May 1942, the NAP was transferred to the Royal Australian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RANVR) and was thereafter known as the RANVR NAP. By October 1942 the total strength of the NAP had increased to over 3000 mobilised and unmobilised reserves. This was to remain the case until early 1944 when it was considered that the danger of enemy attack was remote enough to reduce the strength of the NAP to a minimum. https://www.navy.gov.au/media-room/publications/naval-auxiliary-patrol.

Bundarra was a 42 foot Motor Launch that served as a Naval Auxiliary Patrol vessel. Requisitioned for naval service on 19 October 1942, the boat commissioned into the RAN on 2 January 1943. HMAS Bundarra was purchased by the Australian Government on 10 May 1943. The boat was lost to fire in October 1944.

HMAS Bundarra first appeared in the January 1943 edition of the Navy List: https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Navy_List-January-1943.pdf
HMAS Bundarra first appeared in the January 1943 edition of the Navy List: https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Navy_List-January-...