HMAS
Carinya

Type
Motor Cruiser
Pennant
572
Commissioned
6 September 1943
Decommissioned
3 May 1946
Dimensions & Displacement
Length 45 feet
Beam 13 feet
Draught 3 feet
Performance
Speed 11 knots
Armament
Guns 1 x .303 inch Vickers Machine Gun
Other Armament 2x Mk VII Depth Charges

With much of the Royal Australian Navy fleet deployed to foreign waters in the early years of World War II, the defence of Australia’s coastlines became a primary concern for the Naval Board. The Naval Auxiliary Patrol (NAP) was a war-raised unit approved on 25 June 1941, charged with patrolling and safeguarding Australia's inner harbours, ports, rivers and estuaries against enemy sabotage or attack. The NAP fleet was comprised primarily of former pleasure craft, offered freely by their owners.

In May 1942, the NAP was transferred to the Royal Australian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RANVR) and was thereafter known as the RANVR NAP. By October 1942 the total strength of the NAP had increased to over 3000 mobilised and unmobilised reserves. This was to remain the case until early 1944 when it was considered that the danger of enemy attack was remote enough to reduce the strength of the NAP to a minimum. https://www.navy.gov.au/media-room/publications/naval-auxiliary-patrol

Carinya was a 45 foot Motor Cruiser that served as a Naval Auxiliary Patrol vessel. The boat was requisitioned by the Australian Government on 18 January 1943, before being commissioned into the RAN on 6 September 1943, under the command of Naval Auxiliary Patrol Skipper Maxwell C Hines. HMAS Carinya was decommissioned on 3 May 1946.

HMAS Carinya first appeared in the October 1943 edition of the Navy List:https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Navy_List-October-1943.pdf
HMAS Carinya first appeared in the October 1943 edition of the Navy List:https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Navy_List-October-...