HMAS
Emilea

Type
Motor Launch
Pennant
584
Commissioned
16 April 1943
Decommissioned
29 March 1944
Dimensions & Displacement
Length 35 feet 10 inches
Beam 10 feet 6 inches
Draught 2 feet 10 inches
Performance
Speed 9 knots
Armament
Guns 1 x .303 Inch Vickers Machine Gun
Other Armament 1 x Mk VII Depth Charge, 6 x Midget Depth Charge

With much of the Royal Australian Navy fleet deployed to foreign waters in the early years of World War II, the defence of Australia’s coastlines became a primary concern for the Naval Board. The Naval Auxiliary Patrol (NAP) was a war-raised unit approved on 25 June 1941, charged with patrolling and safeguarding Australia's inner harbours, ports, rivers and estuaries against enemy sabotage or attack. The NAP fleet was comprised primarily of former pleasure craft, offered freely by their owners. 

In May 1942, the NAP was transferred to the Royal Australian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RANVR) and was thereafter known as the RANVR NAP. By October 1942 the total strength of the NAP had increased to over 3000 mobilised and unmobilised reserves. This was to remain the case until early 1944 when it was considered that the danger of enemy attack was remote enough to reduce the strength of the NAP to a minimum. https://www.navy.gov.au/media-room/publications/naval-auxiliary-patrol.

Emilea was a 35 foot Motor Launch that served as a Naval Auxiliary Patrol vessel. The boat was requisitioned for naval service on 18 August 1942, before being purchased by the Australian Government on 2 October 1943. HMAS Emilea commissioned into the RAN on 15 October 1943, she was decommissioned on 29 November 1945, and sold in January 1946.


HMAS Emilea first appeared in the July 1943 edition of the Navy List: https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Navy_List-July-1943.pdf