Chief of Navy's personal flag

The Chief of Navy’s personal flag was originally that of the Australian Naval Board. The flag was taken from the flag of the British Admiralty. Its origin can be traced to 1633, although it is believed to have been in existence before that.
 
The initial First Naval Member of the Australian Naval Board, Rear Admiral WR Creswell RAN, proposed an Australian version of the flag in 1912. 

The design approved by King George V consisted of a horizontal gold anchor on a half maroon, half royal blue background. 

Following a reorganisation of the Department of Defence and the abolition of the Naval Board in February 1976, the flag was taken down. It was later reintroduced as the Chief of Navy’s (CN) personal flag, and was first hoisted on 1 January 1981.